On August 29, 1928, with eight people present with Pastor J. H. Bryant who had moved from Kentucky, had the first church service of the Church of God of the Mountain Assembly, in Sidney, Ohio. This first service was held in a small storefront located in the 600 block of North Main Ave. This small group was a determined and persevering people who were convinced that God had ordained that there would be a church in their small city.Only three months after founding the church, Brother Bryant received a call to pastor the church in Whitley City, Kentucky, which is located in the area of his home. The fledgling group of eight members, being without a minister, was not discouraged, and on Nov. 3, 1928, they elected M. L. Woods to be their second pastor. Along with a new pastor came the formation and establishment of their Sunday School program, which consisted of a Sunday School Superintendent and three classes and teachers; the Bible Class, the Young Peoples class and the Primary Class. This was one of the most important decisions in the history of the church because it became extremely helpful in the growth and building up of the church, not only then but through the many years that it has been maintained.
Again, an expected vacancy in the pulpit came one year later as Bro. Woods resigned and moved his family to Toledo, Ohio. The economy was looking bleak, as the Great Depression was under way. There were few jobs, if any, in Sidney, and the infant church had no means to support a pastor. The church turned to earnest and passionate prayer asking God to send a man to be their leader. God answered by sending R. D. Litton and his wife to Sidney. Knowing that it would be a great sacrifice, he and his wife moved to a strange place, he did not have a job, and they did not have a place to live. In spite of this, he came knowing that it was the will of the Lord to do so. On Dec. 7, 1929, he and his wife arrived in Sidney with a sewing machine, a barrel of canned goods, a few small belongings and the call of God. Under his leadership the church had a fourteen-week revival in which many souls were saved and blessed. He was the pastor of the church until 1939, with the exception of one year, August 1936 to August 1937, he then returned for a one-year term in 1942. He guided the church through the national economic crisis, and he and his wife continued working diligently in their humble way with the church in Sidney for the rest of their lives.
During the one year in which R. D. Litton was not the minister, Clayton Lawson filled the position and moved the church to another storefront on Poplar Street in Sidney, but this move put a strain on the church because the rent was extremely expensive. This eventually turned into a blessing because the church decided to purchase property on Sycamore Street and they began to construct their own building. The building was finished quickly and the first service was held in 1939. In 1947, in spite of critics who said it could not be done, the church building itself was moved across the street and was set upon a full basement and had a coal bin, drinking fountains, indoor restrooms and Sunday School rooms. Various pastors came and went on a short-term basis until Luther Gibson became the pastor in 1951 and remained until 1962. To this point this was the longest term that a pastor had remained at the Church in Sidney and during Brother Gibson’s tenure the sanctuary was enlarged and the church was filled to capacity and often overflowed. This was a time of great growth for the church as many souls were added to the church.
Earl Heath became the pastor for two years following Luther Gibson and after that John Ball became the pastor from 1964 through 1966. Bro. Ball was a local builder and in place of taking a salary he initiated a new building fund, which contributed greatly to the future of the Church of God in Sidney. John Ball and his wife, Mary Ruth still serve faithfully in the church to this day. John Ball is also a World War II veteran. Glenn Rowe followed Brother Ball as the next pastor, 1966 through 1971, and under his leadership the membership continued to grow as well as the finances. During this time the church purchased a prime piece of real estate at the corner of Wapakoneta Ave. and Parkwood Ave.
Merle Laws became the pastor on August 28, 1971 and he and his family served the church for the next twenty-seven years. Under his leadership a beautiful new facility was constructed on the church property and on December 13, 1974 the first service was conducted. This location has been the church’s home ever since. The church remained steady and strong with Bro. Laws at the helm and the church continued to be a strong influence in the community. In 1998 Pastor Laws felt it was time to retire, and he and his wife remained members, and are faithful attendees and laborers to this day.
Ken Ellis was his successor and remained at the church for the next eight years. In 2006, Tim Bartee became the pastor and is currently serving the Northtowne church family. In 2011 the church built a spacious Activity Center which nearly doubled the square footage of the church facility. The church continues after 8 decades to reach out to the city of Sidney and Shelby County through their ongoing programs.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
WE BELIEVE.. the Bible to be inspired, the only infallible authoritative Word of God.
WE BELIEVE.. that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons; namely, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
WE BELIEVE.. in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning sacrifice through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
WE BELIEVE.. that for salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
WE BELIEVE.. that justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
WE BELIEVE.. in sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the word, and by the Holy Spirit.
WE BELIEVE.. that the full Gospel includes holiness of heart and life, healing for the body and the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
WE BELIEVE.. in the present ministry of the Holy Soirit by whose indwelling the Christian in enabled to live a Godly life.
WE BELIEVE.. in water baptism by immersion and all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
WE BELIEVE.. in the Lord's Supper as His body was broken and His blood was shed for the remission of sins.
WE BELIEVE.. in the pre-millennial second coming of Jesus: first, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air; second, to reign on the earth one thousand years.
WE BELIEVE.. in the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.